Following feedback from teachers from our 2013 mapping exercise, we developed the Mentor-ADEPIS Quality Standards for Effective Alcohol and Drug Education as well as a number of accompanying resources.
The Quality Standards are accompanied by the following supporting tools:
- A glossary of terms used
- Resources for further reading
- Examples of how standards might be evidenced
- Self-assessment forms
These standards have drawn on existing national and international guidance as well as examples of good practice in alcohol and drug education and prevention.
In addition, we have continued to consult widely with teachers, practitioners and those that support school alcohol and drug education in order to ensure that they reflect the best current evidence and practice.
Click the image (right) to view the document.
Who are these standards for?
Each set of standards has been produced for a specific target group:
- Delivering effective alcohol and drug education in the classroom as part of a planned PSHE programme: Primary and secondary schools, independent practitioners or anyone else delivering alcohol and drug education, in formal or informal environments.
- School context for effective alcohol and drug education: School leaders and governing bodies, as well as other members of staff in primary and secondary schools – including free schools, academies, private schools, and faith schools – responsible for, or involved in the delivery of alcohol and drug education or policy.
- Staff policies and safeguarding: External agencies delivering alcohol and drug education within schools and employing staff and/or volunteers.
What are the aims of the standards?
- To help schools and others assess their own practice, in and outside the classroom, and make the case for appropriate support and resources.
- To help external providers of drug education assess their own practice and convey their aims, methodology, and approach to schools.
- To help schools have clearer expectations of external contributors, choose those that deliver to a high standard, and work more effectively with them.
Download the full set of resources
To download the Quality Standards and accompanying resources from the Mentor-ADEPIS website, click here.